Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Big Ten Changes

Junior Lori Bjork is leaving the Illinois team:
Illinois junior guard Lori Bjork informed Illinois coaches this morning that she is leaving the UI program.

Bjork, a third-team All-Big Ten selection, leaves the Illini as the school's all-time leader in three-point shooting.

"I was surprised, but really not surprised," UI coach Jolette Law said this afternoon. "I've got to be totally honest. She resisted me the whole year. Because I wasn't Marsha Frese. When she finally decided to buy in, she started playing better."
That seems a bit of a surprise in that she only has one year of eligibility left.

Also, Sophomore Korinne Campbell is leaving Minnesota:
Sophomore Korinne Campbell has requested a release from her University of Minnesota women’s basketball scholarship and will transfer at the end of the semester.

“Though I have enjoyed my two years at Minnesota, I’ve decided it’s best for me to transfer and look for a new opportunity,” said Campbell. “I want to thank the coaches and my teammates and wish them good luck in years to come.”

“I’d like to wish Korinne the best of luck in her future endeavors,” said Golden Gopher head coach Pam Borton. “I hope she finds a situation where she can excel both as a student and an athlete.”

Campbell played in 65 career games for the Gophers. She started the first 19 games of the 2007-08 season then came off the bench in a reserve role in the last 13. Campbell averaged 6.4 points and 5.8 rebounds in her sophomore campaign.
Update. Lesslee Mason-Cox is leaving Ohio State:
Lesslee Mason-Cox is leaving the women's basketball team at Ohio State and will transfer to another school.

Coach Jim Foster confirmed Mason-Cox's decision in an e-mail Monday.

Mason-Cox, a 6-foot-1 forward from Cincinnati's Princeton High School, was considered one of the top players available in the region when she signed with the Buckeyes two years ago. She ended up playing in 38 games over two seasons, missing a majority of her freshman year because of academic problems.

This past season, she played in 30 games off the bench, averaging just under 2 points and 2 rebounds a game.

No comments: