Friday, October 12, 2007

Preview articles

In the Detroit Free Press, Detroit News & Michigan Daily. There were several interesting things in the articles. There seems to be a shift in emphasis from conditioning to shooting - probably a positive, since the team struggled on offense last year and they have quite a bit of depth.

From the Free Press:

Unlike the previous years, there was not a big emphasis placed on how much weight the players could bench or squat or how fast they ran three miles. There was a lifting session, but no three-mile run.

"I'm not going to make them run around the block," Borseth said. "I want them to chase the ball on the court."

That is why the players spent more time in individual sessions with assistant Mike Williams or in team pickup games.

"We did a lot of skill development, individuals working with Coach Williams," Clement said. "We played pickup three days a week. We shot a lot. We got in 300 shots a day. We lifted and we ran on the court.

From the Michigan Daily:

"I think we are so talented and we are so deep," Skrba said. "I think we have the most talent in the Big Ten, and we can take it so far. Our mindset has completely changed this year­­. We are all stronger mentally, and that is going to push us so far."

I must say I like Srkba's optimism, though I suspect some people would disagree with her assessment.

No comments: